Sunday, June 5, 2011

Day 4: MORE Walking!

I didn’t get to bed until 4:30 in the morning and our Scenic Tour of London started at 9:30. I spent a good amount of time lying in bed debating whether or not to go on the tour. I thought I would visit the destinations on my own and catch up on sleep. Eventually I coxed myself out of bed, knowing this experience would be better than if I figured it out on my own, and I’m so glad I did!
Today was extremely gloomy compared to the last few days. It was grey, windy and cold. It rained a little while we were still out but not enough to ruin the day. We started our tour at St. Paul’s Cathedral. There has been a church at that site since 604AD. This is the 4th church constructed, after the 3rd was burned down in the 1666 Fire of London. It’s the 2nd largest church in the world, behind St. Peter’s Basilica in Rome (Which I will also see).
From there we crossed the River Thames on the Millennium Bridge, AKA the Harry Potter Bridge… at least that’s what I call it (in the very beginning of the Order of the Phoenix, the Death Eaters fly around the bridge and it starts to fall). I know… Nerd!  I learned that Julius Caesar himself named the River Thames. From the bridge we could see the Spire of St. Bridget’s church (St. Bridget is an Irish goddess of Beer, yes… seriously). Our guide told us a story about a baker commissioned to bake a massive cake for a wedding of the social elite. His inspiration was the spire… and thus today’s wedding cakes take this shape. (see photo below)
We then walked along South Bank on the Queen’s Walk and saw Shakespeare’s Globe Theater and the ruins of the Bishop of Winchester’s castle including the Clink, the medieval prison from which the slang term was coined. We also passed The Anchor, one of the oldest pubs in London. It dates back AT LEAST to the Fire of London in 1666 because a man watched the blaze from the pub and documented what he saw in his journal. From the south back of the river we had a really good view of what I called the Faberge Egg, a very odd shaped skyscraper. I later learned locals call it the “Gherkin” (because it looks like a pickle?).  There’s another spherical building they call the “Crash Helmut”.
As we continued down the Queen’s Walk we saw London Bridge and the iconic Tower Bridge. London Bridge was unimpressive but the story is pretty interesting! As we were approaching Tower Bridge it started to rain, but pretty lightly. Crossing the bridge is very cool. There is a very small gap where they two arms of the bridge meet where you can see the river.  Unfortunately,  this is also when my camera died.
Back on the other side of the river, we saw the Tower of London, which is not a tower like I was expecting. It’s actually a castle. We didn’t get to go in but if I get a chance to go back I’d love to go see the crown jewels. The tower has a lot of really interesting history, but I’m learning that’s pretty much how it is with the whole city.
From the Tower, we broke for lunch. Shelise, Whitney and I went to a Japanese noodle restaurant called Wagamama. There are all over the city. I order chicken ramen, which to my dismay is not that different from the 20cent stuff at home and was exceptionally plain. Shelise and Whitney both ordered some sort of yobi dish and it was REALLY good, so I’ll be getting that next time. After lunch we all went to Harrods, the famous department store. I’m so sad I couldn’t take pictures because this was BREATHTAKING! Seriously… I had a moment.  I can’t even describe how amazing this place is. Until I can get back there with my camera I suggest googling it!
At that point it was dinner time so I came back to the flat and prepared myself some salad and pesto linguine!  We all hung around the flat preparing for the first day of school tomorrow. My class isn’t until 2:30, so at least I’ll be able to sleep in! But right now, it’s bed time!

St. Paul's Cathedral


The German Luftwaffe used that cross as a guide when bombing London during WW2
because they did not have the advanced technology of radar like the English & Americans


Tony Skitt - our fearless leader (Cultural Events Coordinator/ Tour Guide)

More pretty roses... I found out that gardening is an important past time for the English
because Henry VIII covered the city in gardens. The appreciation has existed since.


From the front


The Millennium Bridge (Harry Potter Bridge) and the cathedral





The Globe


The ruins of the Bishop of Winchester's castle
(This wall was found during the demolition of another building)


The Clink Prison



One of the oldest pubs in London, The Anchor



London Bridge, yep... that's really it


The iconic Tower Bridge


My chicken ramen from Wagamama

No comments:

Post a Comment