Wednesday, June 22, 2011

DAYS 20 & 21: Sunshine and Good Food - 'nuff said!

As soon as I woke up yesterday, I knew it was going to be a good day! The sun was shining through my curtains and I didn’t hear any rain hitting my window.  On the way to school I stopped in a little coffee shop that I pass on the way to the tube.  Every day I eye their chocolate croissants in the window but never stopped to get one. I had left the flat early enough to stop in for a treat and still make it to class on time. That croissant was the most fresh, delicious pastry I’ve ever eaten in my life. (Reason number 2 yesterday was a good day). Before class I had a little bit of time to sit in my new favorite place- the rose garden behind my school. There was an empty lounge chair calling my name and I spent 15 minutes soaking up as much sun as I possibly could.  (Reason number 3)
In my journalism class, we talked for a bit about writing reviews and then Robin took us to the Wellcome Collection, an interesting museum that mixes science and art. While we were there we visited an Exhibition called “Dirt”. All of the pieces in the exhibition were to showcase the human preoccupation with dirt. It was pretty interesting and thought provoking.
After the “field trip” I had a few hours before my next class, so I took off for Soho to visit Steve at the tattoo shop. While I was there I met the owner of the shop, a super nice man named Dante, who invited me to dinner for Steve’s last night in town. I had to get back to school for my internship class but after that I headed straight to Chinatown to meet the group at Imperial China.
I walked into a private party room with this HUGE round table packed with people. Most of the people there worked at Frith Street but there were a few people who brought friends as well. It was a really great dinner. Obviously the food was FANTASTIC but the conversation was pretty amazing. I think there were 14 people there. Of the fourteen, two were from the US (Steve and I), one was from Canada, two from Australia, three from Italy, one from Whales, and the rest were from various parts of Britain. I thought it was so incredible so be with such a diverse group.  
After dinner, the Italians of the group suggested ice cream, but not just any ice cream. They insisted we go to a place called Scoop (there are 2 in London).  It’s authentic Italian ice cream, made by Italians. Without a doubt “the best ice cream in London”. It was really REALLY good. I love being with people who know where to go to get the best food. I had a vanilla ice cream with chunks of chocolate in it. Freakin’ fantastic!
After ice cream, we walked over to the newest attraction to hit London- M&M’s WORLD! I’ve been to the one in New York, so I knew what to expect. The people I was with were amazed! The girls were excited about the chocolate, and the guys were busy making fun of all of the insane merchandise.
After M&M’s world it was midnight and time to part ways, but I had a really great time meeting new people and being social. Everyone was so nice and hospitable! They told me they do dinner together every Tuesday night, and I’m welcome to come while I’m here! The great food and company were reasons 4 &5 why yesterday was a damn good day!
Today wasn’t anything exceptional. After class I did get to go see Wicked. I had heard a lot of hype about the show, so I was expecting great things. While I did really enjoy the show, I don’t think it quite lived up to Dirty Dancing for me! :) It's pretty crazy that I've already been here three weeks! It doesn't feel like it's been that long, but only 2 weeks of class left!
Now, I’ll be spending the entire night doing homework (after I’ve spent a good hour doing this instead of my midterm… oh well!
the most fantastic croissant i've ever had


loungin'

like-minded sun seekers


The grass is so much greener when the sun is out!


I don't think you understand how amazing it was to see blue skies!

I love seeing life size Vin Deisels all over the tube stations :)


My meal- Beef w/ Vegetables & steamed rice

There was SO much food!


All of the wonderful people I had dinner with

MMMMM ice cream!



M&M's World









Stefano and Jordan joining the M&M's on Abbey Road



I know it's blurry but I still liked it...

A picture of the Apollo Victoria- where we saw Wicked

The stage was pretty insane!

(I borrowed those last two photos from Whitney.. I forgot to take pictures!)

1 comment: