Thursday, June 2, 2011

DAY 1

Wow! What a long day! I left St. Louis yesterday at 3:45PM CST and arrived here in London at 7:30AM  UK time (That means 1:30AM CST!!!) The plane ride was interesting... I sat in between an older couple who fell asleep and spread out all over me, preventing me from getting comfortable enough to sleep. I watched a few movies on the headrest moniter (thank goodness for that thing!) and dozed off once or twice on my tray. I was also served dinner and breakfast on the flight... it was umm.. interesting? For dinner, I was asked if I wanted chicken or pasta, to which I replied, "What kind of pasta?". The flight attendent looked at me, annoyed, and said " I don't know, we don't get descriptions". I went with chicken... I got excited because it looked like it was served with mashed potatoes and gravy... I was mistaken. It was actually the soggiest, mushiest stuffing ever!

After the 50 mile long line at customs, Cassidy and I took a cab to our flats. Let me just say that I thought cab drivers in New York were insane, they've got nothing on English cabbies! It was about a 40 minute white-knuckled ride but we did make it to our new home.

Unpacking got to be too much for my exhaustion and I took a nap before our first meeting. All of the new study abroad students met to take our first "tube" ride. We went to a part of town called Covent Garden. It was very busy compared to where the flat is, which I loved! I took down lots of addresses of interesting restaurants and cafes but we decided to eat at a Mexican restuarant called Wahaca. They served tapas style mexican and it was DELICIOUS!  I got chips & guac, pork tacos and a black bean & cheese quesadilla. YUM!

Now I'm back for the night, eyes heavy, ready for BED!

Here are a few photos from my day. ENJOY!


Our crazy driver (on the opposite side of the car... wierd)


My first experience with the Tube


Covent Garden Market


Streets of Covent Garden


Wahaca- modern, sustaible, delicious Mexican tapas restaurant


Chips and Gaucamole (that was GOOD quac!)


Pork Tacos, they were teeny tiny and much prettier before I
took the habenero pickled onions off... tasty!


Black Bean & Cheese Quesadilla, not pretty but it sure was good!

No comments:

Post a Comment