Tuesday, July 12, 2011

DAY 33: 4th of July

Monday I started my day by laying out in the park right next to our flat. I had stayed up all night to finish some homework and didn’t want to go to sleep so I took advantage of the free time soaking up some sun. After about an hour and a half it was time to go to class.
The last week of my History of Costume class was dedicated to visiting museum exhibitions. On Monday we visited two exhibits at the Victoria & Albert Museum. One was a look at the work of brilliant Japanese designer, Yoji Yamamoto. The exhibit included interviews, photos, runway shows and about 100 of his original designs for both men and women. The second exhibit we visited was art-based, called The Cult of Beauty: Arts & Crafts Movement 1800-1900. There was lots of really beautiful art and sculptures that showed the Arts & Crafts style.
After the exhibits, I walked down the street to Harrod’s. They only have one sale a year and it’s happening now. I had to hurry through the store the first time I went so this time I took my time looking less at the products and more at the store itself. The feeling of the store is unbelievable- complete luxury.
Harvey Nichols is another one of those huge department stores that were on my list of must-visits. It is similar to Harrod’s in the product they sell (expensive stuff!), but Harvey Nichols is much younger, more trendy and fashion forward. They atmosphere isn’t quite the same but there is something to be said about coming up an escalator and the first thing you see is an Alexander McQueen stunner!
From Harvey Nich’s, as it’s called here, I went home to meet my roommates for a 4th of July celebration. On my way home, I was so hungry I was on the verge of fainting so I went by McDonald’s to celebrate America’s independence with a double cheese burger and fries! Whitney, Shelise and I met our friends at some pub near south bank and shared a “cheers” to the red, white & blue, celebrating America’s independence from the British over 250 years ago… What irony!



Not a cloud in the sky... perfect day to lay in the park


1st exhibit we went to at the V&A

2nd exhibit

V& A bookstore has SO MANY amazing fashion books... I want them all

The courtyard of the Victoria & Albert Museum



HARROD'S!


Classic Burberry Trench Coats, owning one is on my bucket list

Gorgeous All Saints dress


Dear Future Mr. Katie... where ever you are... I'd like this one <3

Or this one...

This one is nice too.. but a little gaudy for me ;)

This is what the Pet Floor of Harrod's looks like.....



HARVEY NICHOLS!


Drooling...

No words

Another McQueen


I don't remember who made this but I'm obsessed with the yellow one in the middle

SLOANE STREETAfter I left Harvey Nichols I walked down Sloane Street, where all of the High Fashion boutiques are... It was torturous and amazing at the same time...





2 comments: