Sunday, July 3, 2011

DAY 32: Afternoon Tea

Staying true to our goal of making everyday a productive one, today Whitney, Cassidy and I enjoyed afternoon tea at Bea’s in Bloomsbury. Suggested to us by Ashley, who had made there last week, we made our reservations for the quintessential English experience, Tea Time! Taken from their website, the experience includes: “Mini Savoury Baguettes (sandwiches), a proper scone with lashings of clotted cream (butter)and jam, one of our signature cupcakes,  marshmallow (homemade & mango flavored!), a mini Valrhona brownie, a mini Belgian Blondie, macaroons, double chocolate cookies, and a mini meringue and of course a pot of Jing Tea.” All of that for £15.00per person!
When we sat down at our table, we browsed the menu of about 10 different kinds of teas. I ordered Vanilla Black tea, Whitney ordered Green Tea and Cassidy ordered Black Currant and Hibiscus tea. (Cassidy’s was SO yummy!) After what seemed like forever (only because we were so excited), we were served our personal pots of tea, plate of sandwiches, and tower of delectable treats. We all started with the sandwiches, then took our time deciding how best to attack the treats.
Everything was delicious. The scone, which was basically a biscuit, was the best tasting, most buttery, flaky biscuit I’ve ever had. The strawberry macaroons were fresh, and much more tasty then my first encounter. My Vanilla Black tea was sweet and very good, but Cassidy’s tea was fruity and better paired with our snacks. I now understand why Tea Time is such an important part of the culture!
We sat at the table for about 30 minutes after we finished, paralyzed by sugar. I leaned my head against the wall behind me and almost fell asleep for my plummeting levels of blood sugar. We decided it best to get out of there before we all fell asleep at the table. Knowing I had to come home and write a 2000 word paper, I was a little nervous.
We got home around 5:45. It’s now 11:42 and though I’ve written notes on the topic of my essay, I’ve yet to actually start anything. I cleaned my room, vacuumed, and did my laundry. Now my environment is clean, my blog is updated and there is nothing more to distract me from completing my paper…. I hope.

Through the window at Bea's

The back of the tea menu

Tea time!

Vanilla Black tea with 1 sugar

Chicken w/ lettuce & tomato, smoked salmon & cream cheese, and Salami w/ Brie

The tray of goodies!
The cupcakes are Red Velvet (what I had), Chocolate & Peanut Butter, and Vanilla & Lemon
Other goodies include brownies, blondies, mini meranges, macaroons, scones, cookies, and mango flavored marshmellows! ... I've never crashed so hard in my life!

On the tray, very Alice in Wonderland

Our whole spread

The best biscuit I've ever eaten



Spotted this on the way home! SO EXCITED!

2 comments:

  1. omg! how wonderful the tea and treats look. You are making my mouth water. you didn't miss the vp fair today - rained out. We were supposed to take 4 boys to see Maroon 5 and the fireworks. Now we are eating pizza at home and watching Ghostbusters 1 & 2 with 4 11 year old boys - they laugh at the strangest things and ignore the things we think are funny. A whole new perspective. Can't wait for tomorrows menu. Now get writing. beth

    ReplyDelete