Saturday, July 2, 2011

DAY 31: Borough Market (again) and South Bank

Friday night at the Porterhouse, Ashley asked me and Whitney if we’d be interested in going to Borough Market today. Of course we were both VERY INTERESTED so we made plans to meet in the courtyard at 11:00AM. As a reminder, Borough Market is the one that is just food. Having been there before, I knew there were a few things that I wanted to try that I didn’t get around to last time.
From lunch I got a Spanish tomato-based stew with meatballs, chorizo and butterbeans over mash. It was a little spicy for my taste but so delicious and flavorful. There is a vendor there that sells all kinds of roasted nuts, and chocolate covered confections that we had tried last time. Since then I’ve been craving their chocolate covered honeycomb so I bought a little to take home. It’s also pretty much understood that I’ll be getting that Goats Milk Ice Cream whenever I’m there. That stuff is so amazing and light.
From the market, Ashley left to go meet up with Stacey and her friends and Portobello Market, and Whitney and I decided to walk the South Bank.  If you refer back to DAY 4, you’ll see the first time I walked the South Bank and saw things like the “Harry Potter” bridge, Shakespeare’s Globe and the Tower Bridge. Today, we decided to walk in the other direction. We still passed the Globe and the Harry Potter Bridge coming from the Market but once we passed that it was all new to me. We stopped into an art exhibit put on by the WWF (World Wildlife Foundation I think) showing photos of wild animals like elephants, lions, tigers, leopards and monkeys. The pictures were amazing!
As we kept walking we ran into a little shopping area, a strip of restaurants, and skatepark and finally the London Eye. Once we got to the Eye we had probably been walking for 45 minutes. I can see it from my flat but this was the first time I saw it up close. It’s HUGE! My favorite thing about our walk though was seeing the House of Parliament and Big Ben. I feel like I’ve been such a bad tourist that I hadn’t seen them yet. All of the most significant and iconic sites are the ones I still haven’t seen, and what I want to see the most! We hopped on the tube to head home from there because our feet were hurting and we needed to figure out what we were going to do tonight.
I got back here and started updating the blog, and I’ve been doing so for almost 4 hours! I’ve been distracted obviously. I talked to Andy on the phone for a while then Krystal called. Me and Whitney tried mapping out a schedule of the trips we want to take, and I made grilled cheese. Now, it’s 9:45 and I’m going to get ready to go out! Tonight we’re going out for all of the people were only here for 5 weeks (Ashley, Sam & Stacey) because they leave early in the morning next Saturday. A last hoorah of sorts! I hope you all are as happy to be caught up as I am!
Thanks so much for reading my blog and keeping up with me! A big apology to the (MANY) people who were upset with me for not keeping up! It actually was really amazing to hear people say that they read this before bed or “didn’t know what to do with themselves” when I missed a day! (I didn’t make that up, more than 5 people [that I wouldn’t have expected] called me out on it!) I appreciate the love!

My lunch! Spanish Stew (Tomatoes, Meatball, Chorizo, and Butterbeans) & Mashed Potatoes


Ashley's GIANT lamb sandwich w/ aoili & salsa verde


Whitney's veggie burger w/ hummus from the Veggie Table (i love that name)


Chocolate covered honeycomb


London Bridge (with the buses on it), Tower Bridge in the background


The Millenium Bridge AKA the "Harry Potter" Bridge

a little row of shops off of the River Walk


Interesting carved wood pieces, including a rocking horse


A view up the Thames

Whitney and I on a giant Astroturf chair (??)

The skatepark on the river walk

An artist was on the sidewalk painting this...

... this was 5 weeks worth of progress


some cool buildings across the river


Approaching the London Eye




the House of Parliment and Big Ben from the South Bank

No comments:

Post a Comment